More and more people are choosing to get braces in today’s modern world. With options like Invisalign and new advances in traditional, metal braces, it is easier and more comfortable than ever before to get a beautiful smile. In fact, more than 80% of teenagers will have braces (or Invisalign) before the age of 20. Even adults are opting for braces more frequently. Between 1994 and 2010, only 1 million adults chose to get braces in adulthood. Well, that number is now well over 6 million annually and climbing!
Discomfort with Braces
While the dental field experiences many advances in orthodontics, there are still many discomforts. Unfortunately, eating with braces can still be cause for frustration.
If you or your loved one has been complaining about eating with braces, we thought we would share some tips to help get through the next few months. Trust us – the beautiful, healthy smile underneath will be worth it in the end!
Eating with Metal Braces
When eating with metal braces, here are some tried and true suggestions.
- Eat Softly. Choose food items like mashed potatoes, jello, or soup.
- Nothing Chewy. Avoid chewy or sticky candies like gum or caramel. These substances can get stuck in the brackets of your braces and cause sensitivity, cavities, and can even break the metal or bands.
- Take Medicine. If you suffer from extreme sensitivity when eating with braces, chat with your dentist about the discomfort, but you can also take ibuprofen to help relieve the pain and inflammation.
- Brush and Clean. With metal braces, it is very important to clean your teeth after every meal to remove food and bacteria that can get stuck and cause cavities and tooth decay. If food continues to build up in the brackets of your braces, it will irritate your gums and can cause sensitivity and even infection.
Eating with Invisalign
While Invisalign costs a bit more than traditional braces, it may be worth it for the added comfort and decreased maintenance. Talk with our dental providers at Greeley Health if you are interested in Invisalign! Here are some reasons you may want to consider this option for correcting your smile.
- Removeable. Aligners are easily removed when eating a meal and can be put back in your mouth, much like a retainer. Some dentists even allow you to keep your aligner installed while eating.
- Unlimited Food Choices. While you may limit your food due to diet, you won’t have to limit your food choices because of your ‘braces’.
- Rare Sensitivity. Most people with aligners will not experience sensitivity.
- Regular Dental Habits. While we recommend you continue to brush twice per day for two minutes each time, floss daily, and drink a lot of water to wash away sticky bacteria, care for your aligners is quite easy and manageable – especially for teen patients.
Find What is Right
Both options – braces and Invisalign – will result in a healthy smile. While most people assume braces are for cosmetic purposes only, braces actually help correct severe overbites and spacing issues that may disrupt a person’s quality of life and ability to speak and eat properly.
To find the right choice for your mouth, schedule an appointment with our dental team today. We partner with Colorado Family Orthodontics, a network of orthodontics within the Denver and Rocky Mountain region specializing in Invisalign. New dental patients at Greeley Dental Health can get their first exam, cleaning, and set of x-rays for just $59! We can’t wait to care for your teeth!